The Fort Lupton Fire Protection District accepts applications for the Career Firefighter Position only during open recruitment periods. Below is a description, although it is not all inclusive, of the position requirements and essential duties:
The position is considered “at will” and is a non-exempt position working a 24-hour rotating fire shift assignment. The CAREER FIREFIGHTER currently works a 48/96 schedule but may be subject to working a combination of 24-hour shifts. The CAREER FIREFIGHTER is responsible for all aspects of responding to calls for service, protection of life and property through prevention and extinguishment of fires, and providing specialized rescue. The CAREER FIREFIGHTER is also expected to perform basic life support emergency medical services until advanced life support units arrive on scene. Non-emergency duties may include, but not be limited to, maintenance; fire prevention; inspections; pre-fire planning; and, other community support services. The CAREER FIREFIGHTER also will be responsible for the general cleanliness and upkeep of facilities, grounds, equipment, and other District property. A copy of the position description is available from the District’s Administrative Office.
Applicants must complete an application process that includes a video-based test, physical performance assessment, writing skills, oral communication skills, organizational skills, problem solving, and oral board interview. The final step will include an interview with the Fire Chief. A successful candidate will receive a conditional offer, which will become final upon successful completion of a background check, physical examination, and urine screen. The Fort Lupton Fire Protection District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Fort Lupton Fire Protection District provides all equipment and uniforms required for the position. Other benefits currently include a life insurance policy, weight room facilities, annual clothing allowance, training opportunities, tuition assistance/reimbursement, and Employee Assistance Program. We offer plus an excellent benefit package and FPPA Retirement Plan.
Minimum Qualifications and Required Certifications:
- Satisfactorily complete the firefighter screening process, including but not limited to the following:
- Experience working as a volunteer firefighter or in a combination volunteer/career Fire Department preferred.
- Video Based Test Offered through the National Testing Network go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, select Fire and sign up for the Fort Lupton Fire Protection District.
- Physical Performance Assessment
- Applicant Assessment Panel Interview
- Satisfactorily complete a one (1) year probationary period
- Successfully pass a background investigation after a conditional offer of employment is extended.
- Successfully complete a physical examination and urine screen after a conditional offer of employment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of hire.
- Demographic and operational knowledge of the Fire District.
- Or, a combination of education and experience which clearly demonstrates the candidates ability to perform the duties of the position.
The District Career Firefighter shall possess at the time of hire and maintain the following:
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
- High School Diploma or GED. Associate Degree in Fire Science preferred.
- Must possess current State of Colorado Firefighter I Certification.
- Must possess a minimum of a current State of Colorado or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician-Basic Certification.
- Must possess a minimum of a current State of Colorado Hazardous Material Operations Certification.
- Must possess and maintain a Valid CPR card.
***Applicants must reside within a 60-minute response time under normal conditions to Station Headquarters at 1121 Denver Avenue within 180 days of appointment to this position.***