Being a Volunteer Firefighter is a very rewarding yet demanding position in the community. Our District is very dedicated to recruiting and developing strong candidates for the position of Volunteer Firefighter. To become a volunteer you do not need to possess any previous experience in emergency response, however you must have completed an approved fire academy prior to your appointment to the position. We no longer offer an in house fire academy. All District Volunteer Fire Applicants must have completed an approved fire academy and possess a current State of Colorado Firefighter I/Haz Mat Ops Certification prior to appointment to the position. After the completion of your 1 year probationary period you must also successfully complete or possess a Emergency Medical Responder Certification or EMT-B National Registry/State Certification. We ask that you be willing to make at least a two year commitment to the organization and you may be required to sign a training reimbursement contract if the District pays for the medical training. All uniforms, equipment, and on going training is provided by the Fire District. Previous medical, firefighting, or any emergency response type of training is helpful. Many of our volunteers have been hired for full time career firefighter positions within our organization. Although, we accept applications year round and our application can be found HERE. The Volunteer Firefighter Job Description can be found HERE.
As a part of the hiring process all applicants for the volunteer firefighter position must also complete and receive a satisfactory score on the Fire Team Test through the National Testing Network: https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/index.cfm More information can be found on their site.
Volunteer Applicant Screening Process:
Volunteer Firefighter Applicants must satisfactorily complete the volunteer firefighter screening process, including but not limited to the following:
- Video Based Fire Team Test NTN: https://nationaltestingnetwork.com/publicsafetyjobs/index.cfm
- Physical Performance Assessment
- Applicant Assessment Panel Interview
- Satisfactorily complete a one (1) year probationary period
- Successfully pass a background investigation.
- Successfully complete a physical examination and urine screen after a conditional offer of membership.
Volunteer Firefighter Requirements:
Volunteer Firefighter Applicants shall possess and maintain the following:
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment to this position.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License with satisfactory driving record.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must have successfully completed an approved fire academy and possess a valid State of Colorado Firefighter I/Hazardous Material Operations Certification at the time of appointment to the position.
- Certificate of completion of Emergency Medical Responder Course, EMT-B National Registry/CO State Certification or higher within two years of completion of probationary period.
- Demographic and operational knowledge of the Fire District.
- Live within a 1-hour driving time, under normal conditions, to Station 1.
- Willing to complete 36 hours of shift time at the Station per month.
Volunteer Firefighter Benefits:
These are a few of the benefits that we offer to our Volunteer Firefighters:
- Earn a nominal fee/stipend of up to $3,500.00 per year.
- Weight Room/facilities access. New Station/Training Center/Burn Building facilities with state of the art equipment.
- Educational/training funding and opportunities.
- Work related insurance such as short-term disability coverage for injuries sustained at the fire department.
- Employee Assistance Program-(EAP) provides professional assistance for legal, financial, or counseling needs.
- Internal hiring/promotions.
- Annual clothing incentive.
- Uniforms/equipment provided.
- $50,000.00 24-hour coverage life insurance policy.
- Meal allowance for shift crews.
- Obtain valuable experience.
- Service to the Community.
- Hepatitis B Vaccines.
We hope that as you look to volunteer your valuable time to a community, please consider our agency to help better serve our community with the most professional and the highest quality of emergency services possible!